From: Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] cloning problem
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2013 08:26:23
1 On 02/04/2013 10:52:44 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Mon, 04 Feb 2013 16:53:09 +0100, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
3 >
4 > > On the very first boot the cloned system fails to mount all file
5 > systems
6 > > even /dev/pts which is a bit problematic when doing all this from
7 > > remote.
8 > >
9 > > I get PTY allocation request failed on channel 0
10 > >
11 > > Luckily I still can use the console on the remote system although I
12 > > don't
13 > > get a prompt.
16 > Did you copy /dev/null and /dev/console to the new machine. These
17 > need to
18 > exist on the root partition as they are needed before udev starts.
21 Thanks Neil,
22 what do you mean by copy?
23
24 When cloning, I transfer a tarball of the root and usr partition.
25 Doesn't that suffice?
26
27 The only thing which comes to my mind now is that the tarball was
28 created from
29 a live root partition.
30
31 Helmut.