From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] recommendation sought for external disk
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2014 00:04:00
1 On 01/01/2014 02:07 PM, gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
2 > I was considering what seagate calls an "expansion hard drive". They
3 > are USB 3, but I will be using only USB 2. The desktop is gentoo-only
4 > and I don't need any backup software from seagate.
5 >
6 > The models are STBVx000100 for x=1,2,3,4 TB.
7 >
8 > I understand the price capacity trade-off, but wonder if anyone has any
9 > experience with these drives.
13 Hi Allan,
14
15 I am currently using 11 of these drives (1TB model; STBV1000100)
16 connected via USB doing daily/weekly backups of infrastructure at work.
17 They're specifically used on mostly Windows servers via WSB.
18
19 They're written to quite often and have been on 24x7 since last January.
20 I did have a problem with one drive a month in but it was replaced and
21 have had no issues since.
22
23 Keep in mind these have no on/off switch and are literally an expansiond
24 drive, meant to be on all the time.
25
26 I've performed test restores to a VM and no issues. Performance is OK
27 even on USB2.
28
29 I have no complaints on these particular models (other than the lack of
30 a power switch), although I really should have purchased the 2TB models.
31 Oh well.
32
33 Dan