From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Pipe Lines - A really basic question
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 19:09:53
1 Am 09.09.2010 19:24, schrieb Matt Neimeyer:
2 > My generic question is: When I'm using a pipe line series of commands
3 > do I use up more/less space than doing things in sequence?
4 >
5 [...]
6 > OR going back to my generic question if I pipe line like "type | sort
7 > | unique > output" does that only use 1x or 3x the disk space?
8 >
9 > Thanks in advance!
10 >
11 > Matt
12 >
13 > P.S. If the answer is "it depends" how do know what it depends on?
16 It depends on whether you use MS-DOS or a better OS ;)
17 DOS was the last operating system which I know of which used temporary
18 files for pipes. Every other system uses in-memory FIFOs
19 (first-in-first-out).
20
21 BTW: your last example "type | sort | uniq" can be shortened to "type |
22 sort -u"
23
24 Hope this helps,
25 Florian Philipp