From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USB sound
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 13:51:15
1 On Tuesday, 28 April 2020 14:18:52 BST Mark Knecht wrote:
2
3 Has KMail started misbehaving again? I'm certain I read a reply from Michael,
4 but now there's no trace of it after a reboot (see below). Anyway, I created
5 an /etc/asound.conf with the content he recommended. That gave me sound back.
6 Thanks Michael.
7
8 > 1) First, if you really don't want the intel stuff loaded then either don't
9 > build it in your kernel or (easier - it's what I do) just blacklist the
10 > intel sound driver. The following link has some instructions which explain
11 > the process.
12
13 > https://www.techtimejourney.net/how-to-blacklist-a-sound-card-in-linux/
14
15 Thanks for the pointer, Mark.
16
17 > Please provide the output of
18 >
19 > ls /proc/asound
20 > cat /proc/asound/cards
21 > cat /proc/asound/modules
22
23 # ls /proc/asound
24 card0 card2 Device HDMI modules pcm timers version
25 card1 cards devices hwdep oss seq USB
26
27 # cat /proc/asound/cards
28 0 [HDMI ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI HDMI
29 HDA ATI HDMI at 0xfbe60000 irq 59
30 1 [USB ]: USB-Audio - HD Webcam USB
31 HD Webcam USB HD Webcam USB at usb-0000:00:14.0-6, high
32 speed
33 2 [Device ]: USB-Audio - USB Audio Device
34 C-Media Electronics Inc. USB Audio Device at
35 usb-0000:00:14.0-13, full speed
36
37 # cat /proc/asound/modules
38 0 snd_hda_intel
39 1 snd_usb_audio
40 2 snd_usb_audio
41
42 > 1) First, if you really don't want the intel stuff loaded then either don't
43 > build it in your kernel or (easier - it's what I do) just blacklist the
44 > intel sound driver. The following link has some instructions which explain
45 > the process.
46 >
47 > https://www.techtimejourney.net/how-to-blacklist-a-sound-card-in-linux/
48 >
49 > Restart Alsa and double check the cards and modules shown in /proc/asound.
50 >
51 > 2) As you are on KDE you likely have pulseaudio running. Run pavucontrol,
52 > run Firefox with some audio and see where you are sending Firefox audio.
53
54 Nope. No pulseaudio.
55
56 > 3) You probably don't have to mess with Alsa configuration itself to fix
57 > this so keep it simple for now. We can go there later if need be.
58
59 Meanwhile there are a few complications. First, I also have a webcam with a
60 microphone. I should have unplugged this before asking my question.
61
62 Second, there's a sound driver in my Radeon Pro WX 5100, which I may want to
63 experiment with later if I can find a way to extract the sound from my
64 DisplayPort link (not HDMI after all; I was mistaken about that in an earlier
65 thread). I can't disable it anyway, as far as I know. It may account for the
66 Intel modules.
67
68 Third, I haven't any alsa packages installed, except for alsamixer which I
69 installed to help with this problem (it didn't). There's no starting or
70 stopping alsa; KDE seems to have what it needs without alsa specifically.
71 That's why I had no asound.conf; it's also why I rebooted instead of doing
72 something less heavy handed. Then again, why do I need an asound.conf?
75 Regards,
76 Peter.