From: "»Q«" <boxcars@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Is it a bug if revdep-rebuild catches something that preserved-rebuild doesn't?
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 00:01:10
1 On Thu, 15 Aug 2013 10:16:25 +0200
2 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On 15/08/2013 09:30, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
5 > > When running:
6 > >
7 > > emerge @preserved-rebuild
8 > >
9 > > and nothing is found that needs a rebuild, but:
10 > >
11 > > revdep-rebuild -i
12 > >
13 > > does find something, should it be considered a bug with the
14 > > preserved-rebuild mechanism and be reported, or is this expected to
15 > > happen from to time?
16 >
17 > The latter, it happens from time to time. I see it here about once
18 > every 2 months or so (i.e. seldom). I suppose this is the best we can
19 > expect, seeing as how it all works:
20 >
21 > @preserved-rebuild tries to remember everything that uses everything
22 > and detect changes, this will never be 100%,
23 > revdep-rebuild actively looks for brokenness and still sometimes gets
24 > it wrong (dynamic plugin modules anyone?)
25 >
26 > The specifics depend on the exact package. Maybe also file a bug so
27 > Zac can look it over just in case there in a useful tweak he can make
28
29 I thought the use of subslots was supposed to make revdep-rebuild
30 obsolete someday.