From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo healthy?
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 10:50:18
1 On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 11:35:58 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > > Except it's not 500MB, as you'll see by looking at the snapshots
4 > > directory on any Gentoo mirror. Of course, the fact that portage
5 > > trees for the last couple of weeks are nicely tarred up on all the
6 > > Gentoo mirrors makes this process pointless anyway :)
7 >
8 > My /usr/portage (without distfiles) is 558,560 blocks of 1k each. I
9 > have no idea what it will .tar.gz down to
10
11 33.1MB with bzip2, see
12 http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/www.ibiblio.org/gentoo/snapshots/
13
14 There's not much point in making your own when this is available :)
15
16 I have /usr/portage mounted on a sparse file, as per
17 http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Speeding_up_portage#MultiPurpose_Trick
18 That page lists ease of backing up as a benefit, but I've never felt the
19 need to do that.
23 Neil Bothwick
24
25 Windows95: <win-doz-nin-te-fiv> n. 32 bit extensions and a graphical
26 shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded
27 for a 4 bit microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that can't stand
28 1 bit of competition.