From: Rob <europa100@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT - Why is Gentoo so slow when internet is out?
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 21:45:58
1 Michael Sullivan wrote:
2 > Our cable internet service goes out frequently (and probably even more
3 > frequently now that winter has come to OKlahoma.) When it goes out,
4 > pretty much everything on my Gentoo system slows down. It's gotten to
5 > where just to get an application (like gnumeric) to open I have to su -
6 > to root and shut down /etc/init.d/net.eth0 until the Internet comes back
7 > on. This morning the internet was out and I'd shut down net.eth0 and
8 > then tried to run monodevelop and it refused to start giving me some
9 > message about my PC's hostname not being set correctly in /etc/hosts. I
10 > checked it and /etc/hosts was correct. Must just be a glitch with
11 > monodevelop. My question is what is it about Gentoo that relies so
12 > heavily on connecting to the internet? My network was running just fine
13 > - just the connection between the cable modem and the internet was down,
14 > but everything inside my router should have been fine...
15 >
16 I saw somewhere in portage a daemon that manages
17 connection/disconnection from the network. I think it was for laptops.
18 But now I don't know what it is called or where it is in portage.
19
20 I wonder if it would work?
21
22 Rob.
26 Rob Lytle Home Page
27 A Seti search for intelligent life in Central Pa.
28 http://home.comcast.net/~europa100
29 --
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list