From: Preston Hagar <prestonh@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, jmg_071769@×××××××.net
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] (Linux) surveillance system?
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 15:54:34
1 We use zoneminder (http://www.zoneminder.com/) with the non -G version of
2 these cards:
3
4 http://www.icpamerica.com/products/accessories/IVC/IVC_200G.html
5
6 hooked up to fairly basic cameras through coax cable. We currently have 9
7 cameras on a dual core Athlon 64 with about 1 TB SATA storage. This may be
8 a little more than you need, but if you only need one camera, you could
9 probably go with the 100 series card and a less powerful server. Zoneminder
10 has a nice web interface that you can use to monitor your camera(s) and
11 change settings/recording options. You can put the cameras in motion
12 detection mode, record all the time, monitor all the time, etc. You can
13 also define zones for each camera where you either specifically watch for
14 motion or ignore motion. For instance, one of our cameras has a flickering
15 monitor that is usually on in its view. We just set zoneminder to ignore
16 the motion on the monitor.
17
18 Both the 200 and 100 series of the card we use can handle 4 cameras, the
19 difference is that the 200 series has 4 processor chips (one for each
20 camera), while the 100 series only has 1 processor that is shared for all
21 the cameras. We ordered our 200 series cards from ICP America directly and
22 I seem to remember that they were about $150 - $175 each.
23
24 Hope this helps.
25
26 Preston