From: Jakob Buchgraber <jakob.buchgraber@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Monolingual Dictionary
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 16:56:53
1 Willie Wong wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 09:04:51PM +0100, Penguin Lover Jakob Buchgraber squawked:
3 >
4 >> Is there any excellent monolingual dictionary available for (Gentoo) Linux?
7 > What do you mean by monoligual? (English to English? or other
8 > languages?)
9 >
10 > Anycase, I have on my desktop 'sdcv' installed. The last time I
11 > checked (about 18 months ago) it is not in portage. Not quite sure if
12 > it is now.
13 > http://sdcv.sourceforge.net/
14 > It is a commandline interface for StarDict, and so can just use
15 > stardict's dictionaries. (Speaking of which, if you are willing to
16 > have a GUI, you can just emerge stardict; you would also need to
17 > emerge the dictionaries that you need, they are all under app-dicts
18 > with a stardict- prefix. There are also additional dictionaries that
19 > you can download on http://stardict.sourceforge.net/)
20 >
21 > On my laptop, I just run a dictd server (emerge dictd). You also need
22 > to install dictionary files, again, all under app-dicts/dictd-*
23 > For English to English, I suggest the WordNet dictionary.
24 >
25 > You can also, alternatively, just emerge wordnet.
26 >
27 > Personally, if you just need an English-English dictionary, I would
28 > suggest using wordnet. Dictd is a bit fancier, but you might not find
29 > it more useful (I personally find the elements database quite useful
30 > every now and then). If you need support for other languages, I would
31 > suggest StarDict.
32 >
33 > Also, you can just look into the portage tree under app-dicts and
34 > app-text
35 >
36 > HTH,
37 >
38 > W
41 Thanks for your reply!
42
43 Yeah, I am looking for an English to English dictionary. I already tried
44 all available dictionaries in portage however nothing really satisfied
45 my needs ...
46
47 Does anybody know something similar to the Cambridge dictionary? Because
48 this is really a great monolingual dictionary only available for
49 Windows, tough ...
50
51 Cheers,
52 Jakob