From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problem with UNICODE and man pages encoding
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 11:37:29
1 On Thursday 22 February 2007 23:14, paulie.x wrote:
2 > Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. napsal(a):
3 > > On Thursday 22 February 2007, jcd <jcd@××××××.cz> wrote
4 > >
5 > > about '[gentoo-user] Problem with UNICODE and man pages encoding':
6 > >> Hi.
7 > >> I converted my system to UNICODE with assistance
8 > >> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Make_your_system_use_unicode/utf-8.
9 > >> But my man-pages are
10 > >> still displayed with bad characters ('á' is 'á') in console even in X
11 > >> terminal emulator.
12 > >>
13 > >> I tried to changed line in
14 > >> /etc/make.conf:
15 > >> Code:
16 > >> NROFF /usr/bin/nroff -Tascii -c -mandoc
17
18 I don't have a line that looks anything like that in my make.conf
21 > >> Code:
22 > >> NROFF /usr/bin/nroff -Tutf8 -c -mandoc
23 > >
24 > > 1) Those lines aren't the correct format for make.conf. Normally,
25 you'd
26 > > use something like:
27 > > VARIABLE="value"
28 > >
29 > > 2) NROFF isn't a valid make.conf variable. See the make.conf(5)
30 manpage
31 > > for a list of valid make.conf variables.
32 > >
33 > > I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to do, but I think it's more
34 > > likely controlled by an nroff USE flag or configuration file than a
35 > > portage configuration files.
36 >
37 > OK. If it isn't correct format and NROFF isn't valid variable, then it is
38 > bug in gentoo package, because I just changed the parameters to
39 > /usr/bin/nroff. I also didn't find any suitale USE flag.
40
41 It's possible that you need to add this variable to some file
42 under /etc/env.d, or perhaps add a global alias and/or function
43 in /etc/profile.d, or maybe an nroff or man or other package configuration
44 file. I suppose make.conf could be used, but I'm fairly certain those
45 variables aren't guaranteed to filter down to any subprocesses -- they are
46 only meant to affect the behavior of ebuilds.
47
48 In /etc/env.d or /etc/make.conf you'll use the VARIABLE="value" syntax.
49 In /etc/profile.d anything bash can handle will work. For another
50 configuration file, it might be totally different.
51
52 In any case, most packages don't provide a generic way to modify their
53 default
54 parameters (via environment variables or anything else), and I would guess
55 that setting the NROFF variable to some value wouldn't actually change the
56 way the nroff binary worked (but it could!).
57
58 It could very well be a bug but, you are going to have to be more specific
59 about the behavior you are trying to achieve with that "make.conf" setting.
60 Feel free to file at b.g.o. if you think this is a failing of the package
61 or
62 the portage system.
65 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
66 bss03@××××××××××.net ((_/)o o(\_))
67 ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
68 http://iguanasuicide.org/ \_/
69 New GPG Key! Old key expires 2007-03-25. Upgrade NOW!