From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] RAM checks for chromium
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2018 18:42:27
1 On 2018.12.04 02:35, Mick wrote:
2 > Two Intel systems with 4G RAM failed to build chromium, even after
3 > setting
4 > MAKEOPTS="-j2". The ebuild is checking for a minimum of 3G RAM:
5 >
6 > >>> Running pre-merge checks for www-client/chromium-70.0.3538.110
7 > * Checking for at least 3 GiB RAM ...
8 > [ ok ]
9 > * Checking for at least 5 GiB disk space at
10 > "/var/tmp/portage/www-client/
11 > chromium-70.0.3538.110/temp" ...
12 > [ ok ]
13 >
14 > Given I've spent more than two days compiling to get nowhere with
15 > this, I'm
16 > thinking:
17 One thing I've done in the past if something failed after a long time
18 compiling is to cd to the top build dir (under the Portage tmp dir) and
19 just continue the compile (either make or ninja, or whatever that
20 package uses) when/if that finishes, you can use ebuild to finish the
21 install and qmerge steps. That avoids needing to start the compile
22 from the beginning.
23 >
24 > a) Chromium probably needs more than 3G now.
25 > b) Either the ebuild, or portage, ought to check available RAM and
26 > dynamically
27 > adjust the number of jobs accordingly - or have I watched too many AI
28 > movies?
29 >
30 > --
31 > Regards,