From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is my system (really) using nptl
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 20:20:25
1 On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 2:50 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 [snip]
3 > (Well, I'm not certain that POSIX thinks of threads as parents to each other.
4
5 Hence the reason I put "parent" in quotes, and I specified "actually,
6 the thread that created it".
7
8 > There are *numerous* IPC mechanisms available on Linux. For starters,
9 > there are sockets (domain, IPv4, IPv6, et al), named pipes, signals,
10 > mmap()'d files, messaging, etc.
11
12 Yeah, none of them "easy and quickly" to use, or at least not if you
13 compare it with shared memory.
14
15 > When one process writes to the chunk of its address space mapped to
16 > that file, the other process can immediately see those changes. All
17 > that remains is sending the other process a signal or some other
18 > driving mechanism to wake it up and have it look at that region for
19 > updates.
20
21 Yup, certainly neither "easy" nor "quick".
22
23 > dbus is only a 'little wonder' in that it provides protocol
24 > constraints and language bindings, which isn't really relevant when
25 > we're talking about same-address-space vs separate-address-space
26 > threading models.
27
28 You right, of course; it has nothing to do with the discussion at
29 hand. Is just that I *really* like dbus, and I preferred it over
30 almost any other IPC mechanism in Linux.
31
32 >> AFAIK, Google Chrome was
33 >> the first desktop program in Linux which uses several processes
34 >> runnning under the same GUI.
35 >
36 > Absolutely not. I used to play a game called 'realtimebattle'
37
38 OK, I will rephrase it: Google Chrome is the first *relevant* desktop
39 program in Linux which uses several processes runnning under the same
40 GUI.
41
42 Regards.
43 --