From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Heads up - Perl upgrade borked spamassassin & fix, but still curious
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 11:50:44
1 Peter Ruskin wrote:
2 > On Monday 06 December 2004 05:09, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
3 >
4 >>PS : Your signature noted that you're runnning 2.6.9-r6-regparm.
5 >>What's Regparm
8 > I just added "-regparm" to "EXTRAVERSION" in the kernel source
9 > Makefile to remind me that I had set CONFIG_REGPARM=y (Processor
10 > type and features):
11 >
12 > "Use register arguments (EXPERIMENTAL) (REGPARM)
13 >
14 > Compile the kernel with -mregparm=3. This uses an different ABI and
15 > passes the first three arguments of a function call in registers.
16 > This will probably break binary only modules.
17
18 Like the ATI drivers, if you use them (which I do), thus presumably also
19 the nVidia drivers, if you use them. So I don't use this setting myself,
20 tasty as it looks.
21
22 Just a note, before Ow Mung goes recompiling his kernel to enable this ;-) .
23
24 Holly
27 > This feature is only enabled for gcc-3.0 and later - earlier
28 > compilers generate incorrect output with certain kernel constructs
29 > when-mregparm=3 is used."
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list