From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] MASKED Tilde with no `arch' what does it mean
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 00:19:12
1 On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 5:19 PM, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Trying to emerge emacs-24, testing with:
3 >
4 > emerge -vp =emacs-vcs-24.0.9999
5 >
6 > I'm told its masked in /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask
7 >
8 > But when I look there, I see:
9 > # Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> (10 Mar 2010)
10 > # Emacs live ebuilds. Use at your own risk.
11 > ~app-editors/emacs-vcs-23.1.9999
12 > ~app-editors/emacs-vcs-24.0.9999
13 > ~virtual/emacs-24
14 >
15 > With no explanation of what the Tilde means.
16 >
17 > Looking thru man emerge in the MASKED section there is only one mention of
18 > tilde and its in relation to notating architecture like ~x86.
19 >
20 > All Ulrich M. says is `use at your own risk'
21 >
22 > Ok, fine but first I want to find out what the unexplained tilde
23 > means. There are only a handfull of packagew with that notation in the
24 > masked file... where do look to find out its meaning?
25 >
26 > PS- and by the way, there is no mention what so ever of `tilde' in
27 > man portage.
28
29 I think generally in portage tilde means "about". For example if you
30 want to mask ~foo-1.00 it will also cover foo-1.00-r1 etc. rather than
31 mask >=foo-1.0.0 and <foo-1.0.1