From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: invalid argument when trying to modprobe nvidia module
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 22:43:01
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 21:31 on Tuesday 25 January 2011, walt did
2 opine thusly:
3
4 > On 01/15/2011 06:34 PM, covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
5 > > Hi. I am trying to use my unstable gentoo on kernel 2.6.36-gentoo-r6
6 > > and when I emerge nvidia-drivers, I get invalid argument when I try to
7 > > modprobe the module.
8 >
9 > Forgive me if I'm repeating something already posted in this very long
10 > thread. I just had the same problem for no obvious reason. I finally
11 > recompiled the kernel and the problem disappeared (for no obvious reason).
12 >
13 > Or, it might have been the chicken I sacrificed in front of the computer.
14
15 Nope, it was the three pirouettes you did in the pale moonlight. That beats
16 dead chickens any day.
17
18 But most likely your problem was something like /usr/src/linux pointing to the
19 wrong place last time you emerged the drivers, or something in a similar vein.
20 Perhaps you even configured the kernel and forgot to build-install it, but
21 were convinced you did.
22
23 The sure certain way to avoid these issues is to always when upgrading out-of-
24 tree drivers:
25
26 - make sure /usr/src/linux point to current running kernel, or the kernel you
27 plan to use if different
28 - build & install that kernel
29 - build & install drivers
30
31 then the usual rmmod && modprobe. If that still doesn't work, reboot. You may
32 need this if you rebuilt the kernel after making deep config changes.
36 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com