From: Michael Sondow <msondow@×××××.org>
To: gentoo list <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Kaspersky Rescue Disk
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 07:53:17
1 Hi, Mick. Thanks for all the suggestions and information. I will research them all.
2
3 I'd still like to keep away from putting a Linux op sys on a hard drive partition. The hard drives in these netbooks and laptops are their weak link. The HDD on my Asus 1000HA has lasted for seven years with heavy use and probably hasn't got much more life on it.
4
5 I've got all my important data double-backed-up (on a flash drive and online), so that's okay. But if and when I lose the HDD I want to still be able to use the computer, via an outboard Linux op sys. The Asus 1000HA is really a sweet little machine. I don't like any of the newer models anywhere near as much.
6
7 I see what you mean about ISOs not being writeable. That makes a real problem with live bootable USB flash drives. Actually, I haven't tried creating a file in any of the user directories accesible from the terminal, so I don't know for sure I can't. Kaspersky saves some config data, so there may be a way. Rewriting the ISO sounds like more than I can chew.
8
9 Is there a way to do a full Linux installation on a flash drive, rather than just the ISO image? That might be worth a try with one of the smaller Linux versions, no?
10
11 Anyway, thanks very much for all your good advice.
12
13 Cheers!
14
15 Mike