From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] idea on updates
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 22:16:21
1 Joshua D Doll wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >> On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 21:22:00 +0000 (UTC), James wrote:
6 >>> Why, could the dev add an option that parses out all of those
7 >>> pesky admin things into either a singular log file? Or better
8 >>> yet, a gui popup that lists just those instructions for each
9 >>> package. Then a lazy admin could go through them, take whatever
10 >>> action necessary, and then just kill the pop-up.
11 >>>
12 >>
13 >> Do you mean like the elog system that can write this information to a
14 >> separate log file, email it to you, pass it to a command or any
15 >> combination of these? There are also elog viewers in portage, although I
16 >> have no experience of these, I use my mailer to read these messages.
20 > I concur elog is great. I have it e-mail me a single file after I've
21 > run updates or installed anything. It's stupid simple to setup too.
24 > --Joshua Doll
28 I use elogviewer myself. Works pretty good. I can also clear out the
29 old logs when I have everything updated and stable as well. Gives me a
30 fresh start for next time.
31
32 Dale
33