From: YUE Daian <sheepduke@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: ntp-client slows down the boot process
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2019 05:57:41
1 On 2019-07-27 09:20, Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On 2019-07-27 07:42, Aidan Harris wrote:
3 >
4 >> I run openrc with rc_parallel enabled and I end up booting so fast
5 >> that by the time ntp-client starts DNS resolution is not properly
6 >> available yet (I use a local DNS resolver so even though networking is
7 >> up my local resolver takes a while - a small while, but enough of a
8 >> while to be a problem - to be "ready") so the service fails to
9 >> start. To work around this I added a few lines of shell to the start
10 >> function:
11 >
12 > I take it that you stick with the default ntp configuration, with
13 > syncing from a pool. I do not; I have found a few public stratum 1
14 > servers relatively close to me, and I use them in general, via their IP
15 > addresses and not via their DNS names.
16 >
17 > On my desktop and on my Pi, which do not need mobility, I don't even do
18 > that: I sync to my router. It makes a fine stratum 2 NTP server :-)
19 >
20 > --
21 > Please don't Cc: me privately on mailing lists and Usenet,
22 > if you also post the followup to the list or newsgroup.
23 > To reply privately _only_ on Usenet and on broken lists
24 > which rewrite From, fetch the TXT record for no-use.mooo.com.
25
26 You inspired me.
27
28 Maybe I can build a NTP server on my Rasp Pi in the local network and
29 sync from it.
30
31 It should be a little bit faster and save me...well, 3 seconds ;-)