From: gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] libav and ffmpeg on the same computer issue once again
Date: Sat, 16 May 2015 10:40:09
1 2015-05-16 13:20 GMT+03:00 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>:
2 > On Sat, 16 May 2015 13:10:21 +0300, gevisz wrote:
3 >
4 >> > I'm afraid I cannot agree with you on this. On older PCs I would
5 >> > rather did not have to install abi_x86_32 for packages that I don't
6 >> > need to. The granular approach suits me better and also aligns
7 >> > better with the light-footed Gentoo approach.
8 >>
9 >> With this "light-footed approach" I had about two full-screen rubbish
10 >> in my /etc/portage/make.conf file and kept adding on almost every
11 >> update.
12 >
13 > Unless your screen is IMAX-sized, two screens of text is a lot more
14 > lightfooted than add extra libraries to nearly 200 packages - and most
15 > of that text is comments anyway.
16 >
17 > As Mick says, you get to choose, but the per-package approach is
18 > definitely lighter on the system. Enabling it globally may be less work
19 > though. I say "may" because when I tried that it introduced some
20 > breakages,
21
22 If enabling abi_x86_32 globally may introduce breakages, then
23 the multilib profile is even more broken than I ever thought. :-(
24
25 > so I went for the per-package approach.
26 > --
27 > Neil Bothwick
28 >
29 > Things are more like they are today than they ever have been before.
30
31 Yes, I do remember installing Linux on a brand-new laptop in 2003.
32
33 I had to compile a new kernel only to get the command prompt.
34
35 And, to get a graphic interface, I had to wait for a new release
36 of the distribution in 2004. :(