From: John Dangler <jdangler@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] browser,news,mail
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 19:14:33
1 Holly~
2 I wish I had know this before emerging gnome... :(
3 What I may do (just because gnome is such a pig on compilation) is emerge
4 firefox and thunderbird, and leave it as-is. I may as well explore the apps
5 that gnome has been so gracious to include, and then, when I've discovered
6 which are useful and which aren't, I can go back, unmerge gnome, and emerge
7 gnome-light and build in what I want to use...
8
9 The crux of the issue is that there are thousands of packages in portage
10 that we (as noob's) don't really know what they are (or what they mean,
11 since the names are a little cryptic at times), so we plow ahead with what
12 we "think" we want, only to discover scenarios just like the one I'm in now.
13 If it doesn't already exist, I'm thinking of trying to build a set of pages
14 that gives a friendlier look and feel to portage...
15
16 PACKAGE STABLE OTHER
17 Thunderbird Mail/News Client 1.0.6-r2 1.0.6-r3
18 1.0.6-r4
19 1.0.6-r5 (HARD
20 MASKED)
21
22 Selecting the package name would bring up a page that shows all of the
23 information...
24 <LONG DESCRIPTION>
25 <COMMENTS>
26 <USE FLAGS>
27 <DEPENDENCIES/REVERSE DEPENDENCIES>
28 <SCREENSHOTS>
29 <BUGS>
30 <CHANGELOG>
31 <STABLE> w/link
32 <OTHER> w/link
33
34 I don't know how far this can go, since some of the packages may not be able
35 to be named so succinctly, but it may be worth a shot...
36
37 John D
38
39 -----Original Message-----
40 From: Holly Bostick [mailto:motub@××××××.nl]
41 Sent: Saturday, August 27, 2005 2:45 PM
42 To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
43 Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] browser,news,mail
44
45 John Dangler schreef:
46 > I just found some docs on this that say "Large organizations that require
47 an
48 > integrated suite (past Netscape Communicator users) should consider moving
49 > towards Mozilla 1.7. All others should consider upgrading to Firefox and
50 > Thunderbird."
51 >
52 > So, I guess the question becomes, can I unmerge Mozilla and emerge Firefox
53 > and Thunderbird? Or do they need to see Mozilla libs somewhere, since
54 > they're offered by the same org?
57 The answer to your question is "yes and no".
58
59 Not because Firefox needs Mozilla to run (it doesn't), but because you
60 have emerged the gnome meta-package, of which the Mozilla Suite is a
61 (deep) dependency (because the full GNOME installation installs GNOME's
62 web browser, Epiphany, which directly depends on Mozilla).
63
64 So if you uninstall Mozilla now, you will 1) break Epiphany, and 2)
65 break the meta-package. GNOME will still work, except for Epiphany, but
66 Portage will at some point become aware that one of the dependencies for
67 one of your installed applications-- in this case, the gnome
68 meta-package-- has been uninstalled. Which is, of course, not cool as
69 far as Portage is concerned, so it will, of course, attempt to reinstall
70 Mozilla at every opportunity.
71
72 Which is kind of a PITA, if you went to all the trouble to uninstall it
73 in the first place.
74
75 The solution? Replace the 'gnome' metapackage with the 'gnome-light'
76 metapackage, which installs a full GNOME desktop, without the
77 applications that could be considered 'cruft', such as Mozilla,
78 sound-juicer, Totem, Evolution (and Evolution Data Server) and GStreamer.
79
80 How do you switch when GNOME is already installed?
81
82 1) emerge -C gnome.
83
84 This will *not* unmerge any applications, just the metapackage itself,
85 thereby orphaning the dependencies that you want to uninstall.
86
87 2) emerge -C the 'extra' programs you don't want (Mozilla, Epiphany,
88
89 Evo, EDS, Totem, Sound Juicer, whatever). Also make sure that your USE
90 flags conform to your choices (add -mozilla, and also -eds if you don't
91 want evolution-data-server to be re-emerged when you upgrade gnome-panel).
92
93 3) emerge gnome-light
94
95 This will not emerge anything new (unless you ripped out Nautilus or
96 something in your purge ;) ), but will 'adopt' all the orphaned GNOME
97 desktop dependencies that were orphaned by your unmerge of the gnome
98 meta-package, so when you next emerge -uDv world, if there are updates
99 to GNOME, they will be picked up (because they are dependencies of the
100 gnome-light package).
101
102 Hope this helps,
103 Holly