From: Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: xorg-server upgrade
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 14:06:21
1 On 4/21/2010 1:41 AM, Graham Murray wrote:
2 > walt <w41ter@×××××.com> writes:
3 >
4 >> That was true in the past, but no longer. The recent release of xorg 1.8
5 >> specifically says that hal will not be supported in any future xorg versions,
6 >> so we should all start looking beyond hal. Don't spend a lot of effort now
7 >> learning about hal because it's on the way out. (Not many people mourning
8 >> it's impending demise, apparently.)
9 >
10 > And if you use udev then you need an (at least minimal) xorg.conf.
13 With the new modular xorg.conf.d setup, you really don't.
14
15 I have no xorg.conf and the only thing I'm missing is the mouse wheel
16 emulation on my touchpad. The xorg-server package includes
17 configuration segments that handle the basic input devices for you, and
18 the server itself is pretty good as figuring out your output devices.
19
20 --Mike