From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: OT: Southbridge chip on laptop overheating
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2015 04:05:41
1 Daniel Frey <djqfrey <at> gmail.com> writes:
2
3 > Hi all,
4
5 > I am curious though, what causes this chip to overheat, and can I do
6 > something about it?
7
8 There may be a generic processor fan you can mount/glue onto the chip
9 for cooling. Make sure all other fans are running. Blow out the laptop
10 with an air compressor. Sometime to add more cooling, I'd get a couple of
11 pieces of 1/2" x 1/2" wood and place under the laptop to increase the air
12 space under the laptop for increase air circulation.
13
14 HAVIT® HV-F2056 15.6"-17" Laptop Cooler - Three Quiet 110mm Fans at 1,000RPM,
15
16 Last, I think some folks make a "cooling pad" for laptops. If you have
17 agressive compile options (like mine MAKEOPTS="-j9 -l9") in your
18 make.conf, slow them way down (-j1) etc.
21 > I'm using lm_sensors, which doesn't provide a temperature for this
22 > particular chip. I've monitored processes and nothing really stands out.
23 > I've even tried disabling plasma, no luck.
26 hth,
27 James