From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 21:23:42
1 On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 02:45:05PM -0400, Tanstaafl wrote
2 > On 2013-09-29 2:25 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > Tanstaafl wrote:
4 > >> The way I see it, if you cannot provide a rational answer to that
5 > >> question, then there is no reason for you to use this as a reason to
6 > >> abandon gentoo, only a reason to merge /usr into /...
7 >
8 > > Simple, I have never had to resize / or /boot before. I have had to
9 > > resize /usr, /var and /home several times tho. THAT is the reason.
10 >
11 > Ok, but... everything I've read and personal experience over the years
12 > shows that space required for /usr should not change much, especially
13 > constantly grow over time (like requirements for /home can and will)- it
14 > may fluctuate (increase, decrease) *a little* over time, but it
15 > definitely should not grow substantially, so, if you had to resize it,
16 > most likely it is because you simply didn't allocate enough room to
17 > start with.
18 >
19 > > For me, it doesn't matter if it is rational to YOU or not.
20 >
21 > Sorry, but rationality is not subjective. Just because something seems
22 > to be rational to you doesn't mean that it is.
23 >
24 > You have still not stated a logical, rational reason for wanting a
25 > separate /usr.
26
27 Here's my version of "LVM without the overhead of LVM" to allow
28 maximum flexibity, without the overhead of LVM.
29
30 * /dev/sda is the entire 1 terabyte drive (extended partition)
31
32 * /dev/sda5 is 200 *MEGA*bytes (YES! 200 * 10^6). It's the rootfs and
33 physically contains / and /boot, etc, etc. It also has empty directories
34 /home, /opt, /var, /usr, and /tmp
35
36 * /dev/sda6 is swap, a few gigabytes
37
38 * /dev/sda7 is the rest of the hard drive. It is mounted as /home. It
39 contains directories bindmounts/opt bindmounts/var bindmounts/usr and
40 bindmounts/tmp
41
42 * Note the following excerpt from /etc/fstab
43
44 /dev/sda5 / ext2 noatime,nodiratime,async 0 1
45 /dev/sda7 /home ext4 noatime,nodiratime,async 0 1
46 /home/bindmounts/opt /opt auto bind 0 0
47 /home/bindmounts/var /var auto bind 0 0
48 /home/bindmounts/usr /usr auto bind 0 0
49 /home/bindmounts/tmp /tmp auto bind 0 0
50 /dev/sda6 none swap sw
51
52 The rootfs is currently 22% used, so no worries there. I originally
53 adopted this setup years ago when I was bouncing around between distros.
54 It allowed me to change to an entirely different distro without blowing
55 away my user directory. Even today, it gives me maximum flexibility
56 without the overhead of LVM.
59 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
60 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications