From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Somewhat OT] Backup software for CDs.
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 23:49:28
1 On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 15:34:40 +0200, Uwe Thiem wrote:
2
3 > > OK, so skip /proc, /sys and /dev then? I need to do some reading I
4 > > guess, if it ever gets it downloaded that is.
5 >
6 > Yes, you can skip them. /tmp as well, but you have to create the empty
7 > directory after restoration. Same for /dev. I am nott too sure
8 > about /sys and /proc - at least, it doesn't hurt to create them.
9
10 That's why I suggested the --one-filesystem option with tar (the dar
11 equivalent is --no-mount-points --empty-dir). This archives only the
12 specified filesystem, which includes the mount points, but not anything
13 mounted on them. So /dev, /proc, /sys and anything else, including
14 anything mounted under /mnt or /media, are automatically skipped.
18 Neil Bothwick
19
20 Top Oxymorons Number 1: Microsoft Works