From: James Broadhead <jamesbroadhead@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Freeing up disk space problem!!
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 16:16:19
1 On 28 February 2012 11:37, trevor donahue <donahue.trevor@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > In situations like this I start deleting
3 > /var/tmp/*, /tmp/*, /usr/portage/distfiles/*, maybe do even a revdep-rebuild
4 > to fix something, but even then I'm left with no more then 100 mb, which
5 > obviously is not enough ...
6
7 Lots of good advice already, but I thought that I'd chime in to
8 suggest that you use `eclean` to free up space in distfiles, but only
9 removing downloaded files which aren't going to be used again. This
10 means that you don't need to re-download if you re-merge, and lightens
11 server load.
12
13 Another obvious suggestion: unless you're on a very constrained
14 system, consider re-partitioning to give yourself more root space -- I
15 very happily ran gentoo inside ~7 GiB for a very long time without
16 needing to shuffle things about. I recently bought one of these and a
17 16GiB SD card to quickly add space to my HTPC without disassembly (and
18 warranty-voiding).
19 http://www.dealextreme.com/p/kawau-world-s-smallest-microsd-transflash-tf-sd-sdhc-usb-2-0-card-reader-keychain-25558