From: Daniel Sonck <daniel@×××××.nl>
To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Screenrecording with audio from firefox
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2020 13:47:16
1 I just installed simplescreenrecorder as well. The same pulseaudio method
2 should also work for that by choosing the "Monitor" variants, although I have
3 to add that it would not allow you to capture both a mic and firefox (or other
4 application at the same time) unless you play back your own microphone sound.
5 With OBS you can add an Input and Output source to have both mic and desktop
6 audio.
7
8 If you want to have more control or are reluctant to use pulseaudio (as some
9 are) then it gets more complicated. With ALSA, I know there are ways to
10 support it by editing the ALSA configuration file but I don't know anything
11 about that (nor do I really like that approach).
12
13 I would then recommend using JACK instead, and setup ALSA programs to use a
14 wrapper for JACK, this would allow you to route any audio through anything
15 (for which people in Music as I am use Jack) including mixing it together
16 before sending to SimpleScreenRecorder or OBS. The 2 tools I recommend to add
17 would be cadence (for configuring Jack + ALSA) and catia (to setup the proper
18 audio routing) possibly combined with some jack audio mixer to get a "virtual
19 mixing panel".
20
21 Hope this helps
22