From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New Gentoo box
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2015 07:36:17
1 J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Thursday, November 05, 2015 11:31:31 PM thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
3 >> On 11/05/2015 11:06 PM, J. Roeleveld wrote:
4 >>> Please do not top-post.
5 >> Thank you for reminder :-/
6 >>
7 >>> On Thursday, November 05, 2015 07:17:38 PM thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
8 >>>> When it comes to price I think the 1TB SDD is expensive in my case +
9 >>>> $177.99CAD warranty (though I don't know if I need warranty, or why they
10 >>>> are charging me for it)?
11 >>> It might be extended warranty. IOW, more then the usual factory warranty.
12 >>> I would ask them about that.
13 >> I think it might be Extended Warranty (I'll take it out), it is not
14 >> worth it.
15 >>
16 >>>> =========
17 >>>> GRANT TOTAL: $1420.98
18 >>>>
19 >>>> PS. Expensive like for a small box.
20 >>> I can't comment on prices, been a while since I looked into a new desktop.
21 >>> If that were Euros, I'd find it a lot for what you get.
22 >> No, that was in Canadian Dollars $1420.98 in Euros it would be 952.53
23 >> and in USD 1054.92
24 >>
25 >>>> Maybe I don't need 32GB or RAM but even 16GB RAM would save me only
26 >>>> $112.99
27 >>> My laptop has 16GB Ram and it works quite nicely. Doesn't use swap often.
28 >>> Also allows me to run VMs comfortably.
29 >>>
30 >>>> You might be right, maybe I'll add one HDD for backup (good suggestion).
31 >>>> The killer is my 1TB SSD $499.99CAD
32 >>> Get 1 SSD for the OS, software and your home directory. (240GB is usually
33 >>> enough)
34 >>> And 1 big HDD for your data.
35 >> I think I'll get rid of Extended Warranty and take a this 1TB SSD
36 >>
37 >>> Keep your documents and other data out of the home directory if doing
38 >>> this.
39 >> I'm not sure I understand. Why keeping document our of the home dir.?
40 > Here is how I do it:
41 >
42 > 1 SSD (small, but big enough):
43 > - OS + Software + Home directories
44 >
45 > 1 HDD (Large)
46 > - Documents, Media,....
47 >
48 > The reason I do it this way is:
49 > - SSD is fast and a lot of software tends to use the home directory for it's
50 > data, configuration,....
51 >
52 > Problem with SSD: They are expensive when getting the bigger versions.
53 >
54 > - HDD is a lot cheaper and documents tend to be read once, edited for a
55 > lengthy period, then written once. Which is fine for HDD.
58 > The only exception I have to the above is my laptop.
59 > That one has a large SSD, but only because of the G-force restistance...
60 >
61 > --
62 > Joost
67 One added benefit, you just back up the one drive and you have all your
68 personal stuff. The rest can be replaced by just reinstalling the OS,
69 unless you have a backup for that too. .
70
71 Mine is sort of like this only I don't have a SSD. My OS is on a fairly
72 fast drive and my personal data is on a much larger drive, slightly
73 slower. Looking back, I should have left /home on the same drive as the
74 OS and just put my "Documents" directory on the large drive. It just
75 didn't occur to me at the time. If I bought a SSD and put it in my rig,
76 that's how I would do it. Everything on the SSD except my personal
77 documents stuff.
78
79 Those little .* directories inside /home/<user>/ get read quite often,
80 that seems really true for web browsers and such. Having those on a
81 really fast drive should improve things a bit. If ya got it, may as
82 well put it to use.
83
84 Dale
85