From: Matthias Hanft <mh@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Keeping 17-year-old Kylix software alive
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2019 09:24:41
1 Mick wrote:
2 >
3 > Did you try the new revdep-rebuild in case it works (better)?
4
5 "Dynamic linking on your system is consistent... All done."
6
7 which, obviously, is not true :-)
8
9 BTW, the old revdep-rebuild.sh finally wants to rebuild hundreds
10 of packages... which I interrupted - makes no sense at all for me.
11
12 > I am not familiar with the particular software and wouldn't know how to keep
13 > it alive on a present day Gentoo system - other than building Gentoo using an
14 > old snapshot and installation media, perhaps in a VM and using additional
15 > packages of the same era from the attic in a local overlay.
16
17 Ok, I could set up a complete "old" system, of course, but I'm
18 using the old libraries on a "production system" (they are
19 called by a PHP extension which is used by a public accessible
20 Apache web server). So I'm really interested in keeping the
21 rest of the system up-to-date.
22
23 The old Kylix libraries just do some comprehensive calculations.
24 Not too difficult to manually translate that into PHP (or any
25 other script language, or even plain C), but just hundreds of
26 code lines to type...
27
28 > Someone else may be able to offer useful advice, but I would think this is
29 > more of a question suitable for the gentoo-dev mailing list[1] and IRC
30 > channel[2]. Have you tried asking there?
31
32 Not yet - AFAIK the gentoo-dev list is read-only for non-developpers,
33 and I've never used IRC in my life at all :-) But I'll give it a try
34 if I have no further ideas...
35
36 -Matt