From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Protecting my server against an individual
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 04:05:59
1 Grant <emailgrant <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > > > It has come to my attention that a particular person I know may be
5 > > > intent on attacking my server/website in any way possible. He doesn't
6 > > > know much about Linux but does know Windows. What kind of things
7 > > > should I lock down to protect my remote hosted server? I don't have
8 > > > time to get too crazy with security right now, but what kinds of
9 > > > simple tricks might this fellow learn by asking around on forums, etc?
10 > >
11 > > I assuming your server is a web host and it only is using port 80 (http)
12 traffic.
13 >
14 > I do log in via ssh (port 22 I think) and it's also a mail server.
15 > How can I check which ports are open? Does shorewall handle that?
18 You may want to try a tool I just found:
21 kmyfirewall:
22
23 et-firewall/kmyfirewall
24 Available versions: 0.9.6.2-r1 ~1.0-r2 ~1.0.1
25 Installed: 0.9.6.2-r1
26 Homepage: http://kmyfirewall.sourceforge.net/
29 I just installed it, so I'm going to play around with it. In the handbook you
30 can use the advanced features to config a firewall
31 for a remote system.....
32
33 ymmv,
36 James