From: Matthias Bethke <Matthias.Bethke@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] "wiping" unused space and/or secure erasing of files
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 12:20:47
1 Hi Hemmann,,
2 on Sunday, 2005-10-30 at 19:05:20, you wrote:
3 > > Oh, no doubt that they can recover from burned platters.
4 > > But have you ever seen, that they can recover overwritten
5 > > data?
6 >
7 > not seen, but read about it. They can recover overwritten data.
8
9 Maybe those overwritten once with a simple pattern. Not after a dozen
10 times with random bits, no way.
11
12 > > I've only heard the opposite - that they CANNOT do that.
13 >
14 > maybe you should ask one of the forensic/data saving companies that do this
15 > all day.
16
17 They don't.
18
19 > Recovering overwritten data is as easy as recovering from damaged drives.
20 >
21 > Basically, you need a very, very sensitive magnetic coil ;)
22
23 If you've ever seen the noisy output of a regular coil reading regular
24 data you start wondering how it comes out the same error-free sequence
25 in the first place. Recovering data from damaged drives isn't exactly
26 easy either, but they're still on the platters. Finding an overwritten
27 signal under several others is magnitues harder.
28
29 On the original question: for wiping free space, a repeated
30 dd if=/dev/urandom of=/path/to/file bs=4096
31 should be suffcicient, if slow.
32 To just wipe unused data to reduce the sice of a compressed image, I do
33 the same with /dev/zero. It fills the whole partition with a file full
34 of zeroes that you can remove afterwards. It's not quite as efficient as
35 really zeroing all free blocks but it works on every FS and should even
36 be unaffected by journaling.
37
38 regards
39 Matthias
42 I prefer encrypted and signed messages. KeyID: 90CF8389
43 Fingerprint: 8E1F 1081 A466 2946 B98A B9E2 099F 3B91