From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What is the best audio system?
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 17:24:01
1 On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 10:06:16AM +0100, YoYo Siska wrote:
2
3 > > This seems like a dumb question (for I was a strict PA denier until recently
4 > > and have been using alsa-only since always), but does PA handle OSS
5 > > applications better than alsa/dmix? Whenever I want to use sidplay, which only
6 > > speaks OSS, I need to stop all other audio programs (e.g. press Stop in the
7 > > Clementine player if it's only paused), or else /dev/dsp was busy.
8 >
9 > PA doesn't care about oss (/dev/dsp). It opens the soundcard through
10 > normal alsa interface (which means /dev/dsp becomes busy). You can
11 > either kill pulseaudio, or tell pulseaudio to suspend the correspondig
12 > sink (not sure what exactly happens if an audio stream through PA is active
13 > etc..).
14
15 I'm not using PA, I only said I denied it completety until recently. ;-)
16 (I just noticed it was running though, because I installed Gnome 3 a short
17 while ago to sneak a peak).
18
19 > Regarading oss (/dev/dsp) and plain alsa, it is the same, if something
20 > opens the soundcard through alsa, /dev/dsp becomes busy... (even when
21 > using dmix in alsa, because /dev/dsp is handled by a kernel modules,
22 > dmix is userspace).
23
24 Thanks for clearing that up.
25
26 > There is however a way to amke oss work with dmix through aoss
27 > [...]
28 > Then you can run (even multiple) 'aoss mpg123 file.mp3 ...'
29
30 Hooray for the combined knowledge of mailing lists. That makes me happy as to
31 my question.
32 --
33 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
34 I forbid any use of my email addresses with Facebook services.
35
36 Computer publishers produce computer books that explain
37 what you didn’t understand in computer magazines.