From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Mobo/proc combination
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 13:21:23
1 On 3/13/06, JimD <Jim@×××××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Hey group,
3 >
4 > My trusty old computer died tonight :( I am stuck with my winders laptop
5 > for a few days until I can get in a new mobo and processor. I am looking at
6 > getting something like an AMD 64 or a Pentium D dual core. I can get one of
7 > the two models below for a really good price on newegg.
8 >
9 > AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 800MHz HT Socket 754
10 > or
11 > Intel Pentium D 805 Smithfield 533MHz FSB 2 x 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Dual
12 > Core,EM64T Processor
15 I don't like Intel, all bad experiences (IMHO), so I would go with
16 AMD, also, I would never go with a 754, its going down and 939 will
17 dominate, so, you better get something you'll be able to upgrade, a
18 high performance optimized A64 is so cool I can't wait to get mine.
19 Check for simple stuff in the MOBO that makes great difference:
20
21 Chipset: I will never ever again get a VIA or SIS enable MOBO, NForce
22 is just THE chipset!
23 Onboard audio: check for compatibility with Linux, and I don't mean
24 something that just "works", I mean if you really are gonna listen to
25 sound or some shrieks like my last "AC97 compatible" card. If possible
26 test it. Or ask around.
27 LAN: Careful with gigabit controllers that are not supported, have you
28 seen the kernel list for gigabit ethernets? I have and there are not
29 many.
30
31 Get something completely offboard and buy a sound card, you won't
32 regret it... Also invest on cooling your system and some good PS. As
33 you're a programmer you'll probably have it 32bits in order to avoid
34 some imcompatibilities (I would get another disk and had both a 64
35 pure system and a 32 backup one, you can use the same config files,
36 distfiles, etc).
37
38 Thats MHO.
41 Daniel da Veiga