From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Opinions on DVR/PVR backend?
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2018 19:54:10
1 On 2018-01-26, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 1:40 PM, Grant Edwards
3 ><grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> Pre-transocoding from MPEG-2 TS to MPEG-4 h264 would be nice.
6 >
7 > So, that is a downside with Plex. I don't think you get that level of
8 > fine-grained control.
9
10 I think there's a hook to do stuff like that. I've stumbled a cross a
11 few mentions of how to configure Plex DVR to run a "post-recording"
12 script. I've also seen somebody mention that you can just run a cron
13 job to search for new .ts files and convert them to .mp4 (or
14 whatever).
15
16 One of the built-in Plex DVR features is to run comskip on a recording
17 when it is finished, and I'm sure with the right hammer that could be
18 bent so that it just does transcoding.
19
20 > You can't just pick the codec and features. You pick the target
21 > platform (optimize for Android, or a generic Optimize for "Mobile",
22 > etc), and you pick the resolution/bitrate from a list of presets.
23 > I'm not sure how easy it is to tweak the actual settings, though
24 > maybe it is possible.
25 >
26 > On MythTV the transcoder isn't exactly super-flexible either.
27
28 When I got my first HDHomeRun ATSC tuner, I didn't have a MythTV
29 frontend capable of playing HD MPEG-2 transport streams, so I set up
30 post-recording transcoding to convert the files into an SD format that
31 my frontend's Hauppauge PVR-350 card could play back. By the time you
32 got Myth to do something like that, you felt like you'd been in the
33 wars...
34
35 > On either platform you could also do your own transcoding. With
36 > MythTV the regular player tends to be pretty picky about how files are
37 > encoded (at least it used to be). Plex will play just about anything
38 > you throw at it.
39
40 That makes the "cron job" approach a decent option.
41
42 >> One open question is handling of closed-captioning in ATSC recordings.
43 >> Results with Plex seem to be mixed.
44 >
45 > I've found captions mostly work, but I don't use them much, and I
46 > haven't used the DVR functionality. I couldn't tell you how well they
47 > work with ATSC.
48
49 I'll have to do some experiments. I get the impression if you disable
50 transcoding, then it varies depending on the frontend.
53 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! They collapsed
54 at ... like nuns in the
55 gmail.com street ... they had no
56 teen appeal!