From: Daniel D Jones <ddjones@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Grub boots to command prompt
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 14:07:15
1 Just did a stage 3 install following a HD crash on a new HD. The initial
2 install went without issue and I booted from the HD normally. I then went
3 through and installed a bunch of packages - xorg, kde, etc. I installed
4 genkernel, compiled a custom kernel, and updated /boot/grub/menu.lst.
5
6 Upon rebooting, I ended up at a grub command line. I can setup the hard drive
7 without errors:
8
9 grub> root (hd0,0)
10 Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
11
12 grub> setup (hd0)
13 Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... yes
14 Checking if "/boot/grub/stage2" exists... yes
15 Checking if "/boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5" exists... yes
16 Running "embed /boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5 (hd0)"... 17 sectors are embedded.
17 succeeded
18 Running "install /boot/grub/stage1 (hd0) (hd0)1+17 p (hd0,0)/boot/grub/stage2
19 /boot/grub/menu.lst"... succeeded
20 Done.
21
22 No errors, says everything's good. Reboot and I'm right back at the command
23 line.
24
25 I can do
26
27 root (hd0,0)
28 kernel = /vmlinuz-blah
29 boot
30
31 and boot into the system, so I know the system and hd0,0 is bootable. (I'm
32 writing this message on it after doing the above.)
33
34 There are three hard drives in the system. I've verified that the BIOS is set
35 to boot from the first hard drive, which grub sees as hd0. I've also, just to
36 test it out, setup grub on hd1 and hd2, with hd0,0 set as root. I still get
37 the same thing.
38
39 Grub package version 0.97-r9 installed. /boot is mounted to sda1, an ext2
40 partition. / is mounted to sda3, an ext3 partition.
41
42 I'm not seeing any error messages on bootup or in grub. I have no idea where
43 to go with this and so far, web searches haven't been helpful. Anyone have a
44 clue?
47 "Governments are suspicious of literature because it is a force that eludes
48 them." - Emile Zola