From: Gregory Shearman <zekeyg@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fonts garbled with Xorg 1.5
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 11:32:02
1 In linux.gentoo.user, you wrote:
2
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > I am having problems with some webpages in FireFox as well as Eclipse.
6 > Fonts are totally garbled. It looks like they were written with chalk
7 > and then somebody wiped over them. A redraw fixes is sometimes but
8 > then it gets garbled again. I am using nvidia-drivers 96.XX for legacy
9 > reasons.
10
11 One of my machines runs a GeForce4 card and uses the legacy 96.XX
12 drivers.
13
14 > Anybody got a clue how to fix this? Do I need to change something in
15 > xorg.conf?
16
17 I had the same problems with font smudging in *all* programs and on the
18 kde desktop. It was almost impossible to even read the start menu.
19
20 I solved the problem by adding nvidia-drivers
21 (x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers ~x86) to /etc/portage/package.keywords. The
22 latest 96.XX driver was installed which was 96.43.11
23
24 You do need:
25
26 >=x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-100.00.00
27
28 in /etc/portage/package.mask so that the latest (~x86) 96.XX driver will be
29 installed.
30
31 I'm not sure if it will work for you, but maybe it's work a try.
34 Regards,
35
36 Gregory.
37 Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power