From: Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: tried desktop profile
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2020 19:19:43
1 On Thu, 15 Oct 2020, Jack wrote:
2
3 > Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2020 13:48:01
4 > From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
5 > Reply-To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
6 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
7 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: tried desktop profile
8 >
9 > On 10/15/20 1:28 PM, Jude DaShiell wrote:
10 > [snip...]
11 > > I just found out efi variables are not available on my new system.
12 > > portage is also upset.
13 > > !!! Repository 'x-portage is missing masters attribute in
14 > > '/usr/local/portage/metadata/layout.conf'
15 > > !!! !!! Set 'masters = gentoo' in this file for future compatibility
16 > >
17 > > I don't know what to do to clear this error.
18 >
19 > This sounds like two separate issues.  For the second, do exactly what it
20 > says.  You need to edit /usr/local/portage/metadata/layout.conf to say
21 > "masters = gentoo".  I don't remember doing this on my system, but I do have
22 > an emacs backup of that file without the "gentoo" on that line, so I obviously
23 > made the edit.  I wonder if that needs to be added to the handbook.
24 >
25 > On the other issue, what do you mean that efi variables are not available?  Is
26 > the system purely BIOS?  That is certainly possible if it is an older
27 > motherboard.  If the system does support UEFI, are you sure it is set in the
28 > BIOS?
29 >
30 The uefi isn't set in the bios. I'm not about to alter bios since screen
31 readers don't talk when that's being done.