From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] idea about small footprint gentoo
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 08:53:49
1 On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 09:32:18 +0930, Iain Buchanan wrote:
2
3 > 1. symlinks aren't (or at least weren't in my case) picked up by the
4 > process, probably because when you access a symlink, only the date of
5 > the target appears to be altered. I had to manually copy many symlinks
6 > (which were mostly like /lib/libgcc_s.so -> libgcc_s.so.1) to even get
7 > the system to boot. And the error messages threw me way off.
8
9 You could use find to copy all symlinks, then use the "symlinks -d -r /"
10 to remove all those that point nowhere.
11
12 > 3. don't delete everything you don't need, because you _will_ make a
13 > mistake. In fact, we redid the entire process a few times from scratch,
14 > to refine it more. To make it easier, make two partitions, or if your
15 > final copy will only have one disk and one partition, put in a spare
16 > disk just for the testing phase. Make an exact copy on both before you
17 > start deleting. Then you can keep going back to the full installation
18 > to get files you missed. In fact, we made the machine dual boot to both
19 > disks, just in case we wanted to test the full install versus our
20 > minimal install.
21
22 Or you could start with an empty partition and use find to copy newer
23 files instead of deleting the older ones. One way would be to direct the
24 output of "find -newer /reference/file" to a file and use this as the
25 --files-from argument to rsync.
26
27 > 4. write down the commands that you use to find and copy the files you
28 > want, that way the second and third and subsequent times you do it, you
29 > don't have to remember.
30
31 Or use a script, then you don't have to worry about losing the piece of
32 paper :) I run several commands from one line scripts, because means I can
33 be sure of using the same options each time.
37 Neil Bothwick
38
39 Dyslexics of the world, untie!