From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Safe way to test a new kernel?
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 02:19:38
1 On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 9:08 PM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >>> I need to test a kernel config change on a remote system.  Is there a
3 >>> safe way to do this?  The fallback thing in grub has never worked for
4 >>> me.  When does that ever work?
7 >> You can press ESC in the Grub screen and it will take you to text-only mode.
8 >>  There, you select an entry, press "e" and edit it.  Press ENTER when you're
9 >> finished, and then press "b" to boot your modified entry.
10 >>
11 >> That way, you can boot whatever kernel you want if the current one doesn't
12 >> work.
13 >
14 > I can't do that remotely though.  I'm probably asking for something
15 > that doesn't exist.
16
17 What's the nature of the remote box?
18
19 For example, I have a xen vps for which I can access the console via
20 ssh to the xen host machine. I can get at the grub menu that way. I
21 think grub supports serial consoles, but I don't know...
25 :wq