From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] glibc-2.17 fails and warning: setlocale: LC_ALL error
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 07:19:59
1 On Thursday, July 17, 2014 06:52:20 AM J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On 16 July 2014 19:26:39 CEST, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > >Dark Templar wrote:
4 > >> When I reinstalled gcc and glibc, migrating from non-multilib amd64
5 > >
6 > >arch
7 > >
8 > >> to multilib one, I just unpacked gentoo stage3 into temporary
9 > >
10 > >directory,
11 > >
12 > >> chrooted there, made binary packages out of installed ones
13 (quickpkg
14 > >> <name>), copied resulted binary packages and their metadata to
15 host
16 > >> system (i.e. moved $chroot/usr/portage/packages into
17 > >> /usr/portage/packages) and installed those binary packages
18 replacing
19 > >> current ones. It's fast (you don't have to build packages from
20 > >
21 > >scratch),
22 > >
23 > >> and it didn't fail me even once, although I heard playing with glibc
24 > >> such way may be dangerous (particularly, downgrading it). I guess it
25 > >> works for other purposes too.
26 > >>
27 > >> I don't like installing from scratch if there is a way to fix it. I
28 > >> don't like that approach 'unpack stage on top of your system',
29 > >
30 > >because
31 > >
32 > >> it will lead to system pollution: a lot of files might be no longer
33 > >> tracked by package manager after that.
34 > >>
35 > >> But that's just my experience and opinion. I hope it can help you.
36 > >
37 > >If I can install something as a binary and then get a clean emerge -e
38 > >system/world out of it, I think it would be OK. Thing is, I'm
39 > >concerned
40 > >something is amiss with the stage3 tarball. If that is the case, I
41 > >want
42 > >to inform the person that overseas that so it can be fixed. Installing
43 > >Gentoo is hard enough for someone seasoned but would be a
44 nightmare for
45 > >someone new to Gentoo.
46 > >
47 > >Now to figure out what is the root problem on this thing.
48 > >
49 > >Dale
50 > >
51 > >:-) :-)
52 >
53 > Dale.
54 >
55 > I will try to use the x86 stage3 on a VM today. Will let you know how far I
56 > get.
57 >
58 > --
59 > Joost
60
61 Update:
62 Using a 32bit VM with current x86 stage3 file, glibc builds succesfully. (On
63 first run)
64
65 Will do a second " emerge -ve @system " when this one is finished.
66
67 I used the following stage file:
68 stage3-i686-20140708.tar.bz2
69
70 I have not change anything in /etc/portage
73 Joost