From: Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] minimal installation CD iso is where?, &&
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2015 04:27:33
1 On Thursday, August 06, 2015 7:17:56 PM Mick wrote:
2 > On Thursday 06 Aug 2015 09:10:51 Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 > > On Thu, 06 Aug 2015 03:59:44 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
4 > > > 1-Distrowatch is what lead me to believe I could do something I wished
5 > > > to do.
6 > >
7 > > Is it DistroWatch that led you to believe that what you wanted wasn't
8 > > the default to start with?
9 > >
10 > > > e.g. https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:X86/Installation/Base
11 > > > discusses use of mirrorselect, before it directs to start chroot. In
12 > > > the context of a non-Gentoo boot (as offered in the alternative boot
13 > > > instructions) to get to stage 4, how exactly is mirrorselect to be
14 > > > found?
15 > >
16 > > Mirrorselect is optional, just pick a mrror based on geographical
17 > > location.
18 > >
19 > > > Re progress: I'm at the point of running emerge --ask
20 > > > sys-kernel/gentoo-sources, but it quits if I say no, and fails emerging
21 > > > sys-devel/bc-1.06.95-r1 (emake AR="$(tc-getAR)") if I say yes. :-(
22 > > >
23 > > > http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/G/config.txt
24 > >
25 > > Which clearly says ccache not found. That implies you have added ccache
26 > > to FEATURES but not installed the ccache package. I know, I did the same
27 > > thing last week.
28 >
29 > Probably O/T but why do you need ccache, unless you are rebuilding packages
30 on
31 > a regular basis, e.g. for testing?
35 I don't know how true this is, but I remember reading on some ccache faq that
36 I can't find now that it should work even with new versions, as long as the
37 files being compiled have not changed.
38
39 In my tests, trying along with distcc it just slowed things down even with the
40 same package.
43 Fernando Rodriguez