From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Upgrading from 5.14 to 6.0 version
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2022 06:25:38
1 Howdy,
2
3 I been stuck on gentoo-sources 5.14.15 for a while.  I tried upgrading
4 to I think 5.16 and then more recently 5.18.  I upgraded like I always
5 do, copy .config over and run make oldconfig.  Once I get everything in
6 /boot, init thingy and all, I update grub.  When I get around to
7 rebooting, the new kernels always fail part way through booting.  I
8 can't recall the error since I last tried a newer kernel several months
9 ago.
10
11 I'm about to try to jump to version 6.0.5 which is latest in the tree.
12 Is there some major change that causes copying .config file from 5.14 to
13 5.18 or higher to break?  Do I need to configure a new kernel from
14 scratch in other words?  While I try to answer each question the best I
15 can, either I'm breaking something or something else breaks preventing
16 updating from older versions.  I just don't know which it is. Me or it.
17
18 Thoughts?
19
20 Thanks.
21
22 Dale
23
25
26 P. S.  Bought yet another 14TB hard drive.  Working on filling it up
27 now.  While my Cooler Master HAF-932 case is large, I need more drive
28 bays.  Dang cases are pricey right now.  :/