From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Systemd
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2017 12:29:45
1 On Saturday, 4 November 2017 19:23:40 GMT Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Nov 4, 2017 at 2:17 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > On 04/11/17 18:15, siefke_listen@×××.de wrote:
4 > >> I have a short question to systemd. I would like to ask your experience
5 > >> in the changeover. Was it easy? Were there problems?
6 > >> Change or reinstall? What mean the profis here?
7 > >
8 > > I did both. Changed one system to systemd, re-installed one from scratch
9 > > with systemd.
10 > >
11 > > Both worked. The only problem I have with systemd is that it's unable to
12 > > reliably restore the ALSA mixer volumes/settings on startup. It fails 50%
13 > > of the time. Which is very annoying, but not the end of the world.
14 >
15 > Out of curiosity - are you using alsa-state or alsa-restore?
16 > Apparently alsa provides two different ways of preserving state. You
17 > might consider switching them (which is triggered by the existence of
18 > /etc/alsa/state-daemon.conf - but it might have some other
19 > requirements which I didn't bother to check on).
20
21 I am using alsasound as a boot service, but in openrc - see below.
24 > I've seen similar issues with iptables-restore. To be fair those are
25 > rare and I've also seen issues with that under openrc.
26
27 I have the same issue on one of my Gentoo systems, but I use openrc. It seems
28 to me this is occurring some times only, because the system is trying to read
29 /usr when it has not yet been fully mounted, but I'm not sure.
32 Regards,
33 Mick