From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: extract an image from a .doc file?
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 12:13:29
1 On 13 Dec 2009, at 10:50, Mick wrote:
2 > On Sunday 13 December 2009 08:46:05 Stroller wrote:
3 >> A .doc file contains an image. Is there any way to extract the image
4 >> file in its original format, please?
5 >> .... I have tried in OpenOffice on Windows and Word for Mac. In
6 >> OpenOffice I can't see any way to save the image file,
7 >
8 > I don't know about MSWindows, but in OOo-bin in Linux I can right-click on the
9 > image and select 'Save graphics' when the image is jpeg/png/etc. Not sure if
10 > this works with MS embedded images/files from e.g. Powerpoint.
11
12 This is strange. I get the same thing in Open Office (on Windows) if I create a new .doc and add a jpeg to it.
13
14 Right-clicking on the image gives me a menu of: Arrange, Alignment, Anchor, Wrap, (separator), Picture..., Save Graphics..., Caption..., ImageMap, (separator), Cut, Copy, Paste.
15
16 If I open the file(s) I have the interest in, the first 4 entries in the context-menu are the same, but after the first separator I get instead "Object" (which did not appear previously) and "Caption". There is then another separator and instead of Cut, Copy, Paste, I see only Cut & Copy.
17
18 This file was created by the software that a lettings agency uses to manage their properties. It runs on Windows and automatically generates letters (for overdue rent, inspections &c) in .doc format. One image in question is the boss' signature, so the letters appear like he actually signed them, but I think they also use company logos in other letters.
19
20 Apart from that, I don't see why this image is treated differently by OpenOffice.
21
22 Isn't there a program (command line?) for converting .doc into HTML? Maybe that would extract the image.
23
24 The reason I'd like to see this is because some of the .doc files are 2 meg in size (some others exactly 1meg, so cluster size may affect this) and there are thousands of them taking up space on the server. If the image is to blame then we would benefit many times from the size saving. I haven't yet spoken to the site about this, only discovering it yesterday, so I don't know if I can find the file by accessing the property management software.
25
26 Cheers,
27
28 Stroller.