From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM for data drives but not the OS
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2011 11:42:41
1 On Friday 08 April 2011 05:42:59 Dale wrote:
2 > I been reading this howto:
3 >
4 > http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/index.html
5 >
6 > It hasn't been updated in several years now. Should I be reading this
7 > or is it up to date enough that I wont end up confused because of
8 > changes that have occurred since that howto has been updated? I don't
9 > want to learn something just to find out that there has been changes and
10 > then get my brain turned to soup.
11
12 Not sure about the commands there.
13 The basic theory is, from a quick glance, still valid.
14
15 That it still mentions LVM1 isn't usefull for you as you'll automatically be
16 using LVM2. (yes, new version came out sometimes in 2.6.x :) )
17
18 As for more current howtos:
19 https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LVM
20 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/lvm2.xml
21
22 And via a blog posting ( http://www.vm-aware.com/2008/08/how-to-linux-lvm/ ) I
23 found 2 more:
24 http://www.ntlug.org/Articles/LVM
25 http://www.howtoforge.com/linux_lvm
26
27 > Little light bulb here. physical volume is the same as a physical
28 > drive? If I understand it correctly, it is the whole thing unpartitioned.
29
30 Eerh... Nearly there :)
31 Most people use partitions on a physical drive for the physical volumes.
32
33 > I'm hoping for some nice pictures before to long to help explain this
34 > some more. lol
35
36 You ask, wikipedia delivers:
37 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_Volume_Manager_%28Linux%29