From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Slow internet connection
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 12:04:48
1 Dale wrote:
2
3 > Well, I have found out this much but I need some help figuring out the
4 > rest. I booted into my old Gentoo and the modem works fine and it
5 > connects the same way, the ARQ thing. It uses the old kernel, the old
6 > hal, dbus and the old KDE. I am beginning to think this is a kernel
7 > thing but I can't back up a version because hal, dbus or one of them
8 > requires this kernel or higher and my new KDE requires the new hal,
9 > dbus, sounds like a catch 22 don't it.
10 >
11 > What can I do to make sure it is the kernel? Is it possible to back
12 > up a kernel version, the one the old Gentoo uses, and not botch up
13 > hal, dbus or something?
14 >
15 > Just to make it more clear. I have to versions of Gentoo on two
16 > seperate hard drives. I redone my install when I moved to a faster
17 > drive.
18 >
19 > Thanks
20 >
21 > Dale
22 > :-)
23 >
24 Well, this turned out to be weird. This modem would work fine in my old
25 Gentoo but not the new one. I thought the modem was fine. I was
26 wrong, again. This modem has a thing called ARQ on it and it was turned
27 on. That is short for Automatic Repeat Request by the way. If I
28 understand this thing correctly, and I prolly don't ;) , it sort of
29 checks each peice of data and that takes time to do, therefore it slows
30 my connection down a lot. Since I only get 26K, I need all I can get. LOL
31
32 Anyway, gkrellm now shows a nice steady stream of data coming across the
33 connection, allbeit a slow stream. If anybody is unfortunate enough to
34 find a DSL or cable modem with this feature, you may want to turn that
35 puppy off.
36
37 Best I can figure is the old Gentoo had some setting left over from my
38 old modem that got hit by lighting that disabled this "feature". When I
39 got this modem then upgraded everything it picked it up and off it
40 went. I sure am glad this is over. I downloaded OOo for windoze
41 yesterday. It took all night and all day, about 21 hours or so. It
42 would only take about 8 hours now. Oh, I have to send it to my now
43 ex-girlfriend so she don't have to buy M$ Office. I don't have windoze
44 here. Yes, we still talk.
45
46 Well, thanks for reading anyway. I learned this the hard way. I got
47 lonesome at times. ;) I was hoping Holly would share her genius. LOL
48
49 Dale
50 :-)
53 To err is human, I'm most certainly human.
54
55 I have four rigs:
56
57 1: Home built; Abit NF7 ver 2.0 w/ AMD 2500+ CPU, 1GB of ram and right now two 80GB hard drives.
58 2: Home built; Iwill KK266-R w/ AMD 1GHz CPU, 256MBs of ram and a 4GB drive.
59 3: Home built; Gigabyte GA-71XE4 w/ 800MHz CPU, 128MBs of ram and a 2.5GB drive.
60 4: Compaq Proliant 6000 Server w/ Quad 200MHz CPUs, 128MBs of ram and a 4.3GB SCSI drive.
61
62 All run Gentoo Linux, all run folding. #1 is my desktop, 2, 3, and 4 are set up as servers.
65 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list