From: antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Seagate ST8000NM0065 PMR or SMR plus NAS SAS SATA question
Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 16:47:09
1 On 22/05/2020 16:43, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 11:32 AM Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> An interesting article mentioning WD Red NAS drives which may actually be SMRs
5 >> and how latency increases when cached writes need to be transferred into SMR
6 >> blocks.
7 >
8 > Yeah, there is a lot of background on this stuff.
9 >
10 > You should view a drive-managed SMR drive as basically a journaled
11 > filesystem/database masquerading as a virtual drive. One where the
12 > keys/filenames are LBAs, and all the files are 512 bytes long. :)
13 >
14 > Really even most spinning drives are this way due to the 4k physical
15 > sectors, but this is something much easier to deal with and handled by
16 > the OS with aligned writes as much as possible. SSDs have similar
17 > issues but again the impact isn't nearly as bad and is more easily
18 > managed by the OS with TRIM/etc.
19 >
20 > A host-managed SMR drive operates much more like a physical drive, but
21 > in this case the OS/application needs to be SMR-aware for performance
22 > not to be absolutely terrible.
23 >
24 What puzzles me (or rather, it doesn't, it's just cost cutting), is why
25 you need a *dedicated* cache zone anyway.
26
27 Stick a left-shift register between the LBA track and the hard drive,
28 and by switching this on you write to tracks 2,4,6,8,10... and it's a
29 CMR zone. Switch the register off and it's an SMR zone writing to all
30 tracks.
31
32 The other thing is, why can't you just stream writes to a SMR zone,
33 especially if we try and localise writes so lets say all LBAs in Gig 1
34 go to the same zone ... okay - if we run out of zones to re-shingle to,
35 then the drive is going to grind to a halt, but it will be much less
36 likely to crash into that barrier in the first place.
37
38 Even better, if we have two independent heads, we could presumably
39 stream updates using one head, and re-shingle with the other. But that's
40 more cost ...
41
42 Cheers,
43 Wol