From: Michael Crute <mcrute@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Doubts about how to create a free software project
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 11:51:10
1 On 9/15/05, Raphael Melo de Oliveira Bastos Sales <raphael.melo21@×××××.com>
2 wrote:
3 >
4 > Hi everyone,
5 >
6 > I work with biotech and for about an 1 year I've been working on a
7 > web interface for genome/proteome data analysis. And I'd like to make
8 > it free software. But I still have doubts about legal problems I might
9 > face and about intellectual property.
10 > Basically, I don't want to restrict people on using and
11 > contributing with source or whatever, but don't want anyone taking
12 > credit for my work or pateting it and sending me a cease-and-desist
13 > letter.
14 > If anyone has any insight, references or links on this subject,
15 > please let me know.
16 >
17 > Thanks for the attention,
18 >
19 > Raphael
23 Also if you did this on company time you need to make sure they are OK with
24 you open sourcing it as there is probably a clause in your employment papers
25 someplace that makes anything you do on company time theirs. In which case
26 open-sourcing it is liable to get you fired. At least thats the case where I
27 work.
28
29 -Mike
33 Michael E. Crute
34 Software Developer
35 SoftGroup Development Corporation
36
37 Linux, because reboots are for installing hardware.
38 "In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?"