From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Kernel install target and firmware
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2016 17:02:57
It seems that without extra tweaking, running "make modules_install" in
a built gentoo-sources tree always results in the Linux supplied
firmware being reinstalled into /lib64/firmware.  This is different from
debian and definitely not my preferred way; I like to keep the firmware
stable unless there is a tangible reason to update it.

So, what is the extra tweak I need to apply to change this behavior?  Is
there a kernel menuconfig option for this?