From: "Jesús J. Guerrero Botella" <jesus.guerrero.botella@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Experiences with ATI Radeon HD 4250 video card?
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 15:04:57
1 2010/12/21 Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com>:
2 >
3 >> > > On 12/21/10 09:02:32, Jesús J. Guerrero Botella wrote:
4 >> > >> If you plan to
5 >> > >> use proprietary drivers then I'd use some other brand.
6 >> > >
7 >> > > Why?
8 >> > >
9 >> > > I have several machines with an onboard Radeon HD 3300 chip.
10 >> > > The recent versions of x11-drivers/ati-drivers (currently 10.11)
11 >> > > run just fine with the lastest kernel (2.6.36) and the latest
12 >> > > xorg-server (1.9.2.902)
13 >> >
14 >> > If you have been an fglrx user for a long time you should know that's
15 >> > not the usual case (unless things have changed drastically in the
16 >> > last
17 >> > few months).
18 >>
19 >> Yes, I do think it has changed recently.
20 >> There is even a a more recent version 10.12 but not in the tree, yet.
23 > I've been using fglrx for 18 months without problem on amd64 (which is
24 > currently using xorg 1.7.7). I would assume that ~amd64/~x86 would be more
25 > troublesome as the driver will take some time to catch up with the latest
26 > developments.
27
28 Admittedly, I never used stable arch, in either x86 or x86_64.
29 Admittedly -as well- it's been long since I used any proprietary
30 driver.
31
32 I suggest using the open driver unless you need the extra power for
33 gaming. Depending on your requisites the open driver might be ok for
34 you even if you are a gamer. Such chip is very well supported nowadays
35 when using the radeon free driver, even for 3d. It's just easier and
36 you don't have to recompile anything each time you install a new
37 kernel and/or xorg bumps its version number.
41 Jesús Guerrero Botella