From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] another iptables question...
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 15:41:36
1 Hi,
2
3 On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 19:44:07 +0530 "Hiren Dave" <hiren2k4@×××××.com>
4 wrote:
5
6 > I did this:
7 > [...]
8 > #iptables -A OUTPUT -m owner --uid-owner 0 -j ACCEPT
9 > #iptables -A OUTPUT -j DROP
10 > [...]
11 > Still other users including root can ping other PCs. Why is this not
12 > working?
13
14 please post the output of "iptables -vnL". We're talking about users on
15 that PC, not those using it as a gateway/router/bridge/whatever,
16 correct?
17
18 > Also I have some diffulties understanding Connection Tracking(NEW,
19 > ESTABLISHED, RELATED, INVALID) concept.
20
21 Those are protocol dependant. I really think that those are well
22 described even in iptables man page. Basically, you'll want sth like
23 this:
24 iptables -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
25 and maybe the same for FORWARD. Of course, for FORWARD, you'll want to
26 match NEW,ESTABLISHED,RELATED for outgoing connections (well, or even
27 don't impose any restrictions for outgoing connections).
28
29 > Any practical guide available on internet for iptables???
30
31 Lots. That "practical" depends on the problem faced which you didn't
32 describe at all. So del.icio.us would be my first hint, Google follows:
33
34 http://del.icio.us/tag/netfilter
35 http://www.google.com/search?q=netfilter
36
37 (note that the concept is usually referred to as "netfilter")
38
39 -hwh
40 --
41 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list